Important Current Affairs January 2017 for all Competitive Exams – Banks, Groups, SSC, UPSC 2017
These are the important current affairs from the daily news updates in the month of January 2017 on different topics – Banking, Economy, National and International affairs, Important days, Appointments, Awards & Honours, Science & Technology, Sports and Obituaries, Schemes and important books and authors etc.,
Latest Banking News and Economy:
1) Which Foreign bank offers exclusive banking services to its NRI Customers with the partnership of Andhra Pradesh Non-Resident Telugu (APNRT) Society?
2) Who is the CEO of BCSBI ( Banking Codes and Standards Board of India)?
3) Expand BCSBI, Which plans to organise “Know Your Rights” programme to enhance awareness on Banking Codes from basic level for the first time in selected urban and rural areas in India?
Banking Codes and Standards Board of India
4) According to World Bank, What is the global economic growth forecast rate in 2017?
2.7% in 2017 (Previously it was 2.3% in 2016).
World Bank’s President – Jim Yong Kim.
5) Which bank has been penalised by RBI and imposed Rs.75Lakhs fine for violating the KYC norms of RBI?
Bombay Mercantile Co-Operative Bank.
6) Name the school program, Recently launched by Kerala Gramin Bank (KGB) to create awareness on Financial literacy among school children?
7) Which type of banks are not authorised to accept deposits under PMGKY (Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana) Scheme?
8) which bank plans to establish ATM onboard at India’s warship INS Vikramaditya?
SBI (State Bank of India).
9) The International Monitory Fund (IMF) has cut the India’s growth rate from 7.6% to _________ due to demonetization for the current fiscal year?
10) What is the WPI (Wholesale Price Index) inflation in December 2016?
11) The EPFO (Employee’s Provident Fund Organization) has lowered the interest rate on EPF deposits to _________________ for FY17 from 8.8% in 2015-16.
Notes: EPFO comes under the administrative control of the Ministry of Labour and Employment,
Union Minister of Labour & Employment – Shri Bandaru Dattatreya.
12) In which city India’s first international exchange ‘India INX’ was set up by the prime minister ‘Mr. Narendra Modi’ on 10th January 2017?
IFSC of GIFT Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
IFSC – International Financial Service Centre.
GIFT – Gujarat International Financial Tech.
FSDC – Financial Stability and Development Council.
FDMC – Financial Data Management Centre
13) The central govt. approved how much amount of interest subsidy on loans of up to Rs 21 lakh for all households which are not covered under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?
14) Which bank has launched ‘AB e-Vyapar’ mobile app for cashless transactions with Aadhaar number to promote digital transactions?
- Andhra Bank CMD Suresh N Patel
15) What is the estimated amount of deposits of old notes (Rs.500/1000) that RBI may have received during demonetisation exercise from 9th November to 30th December 2016?
Rs 15 lakh crore (Approx.)
16) Which e-commerce mobile platform got approval from RBI to set up ‘Payments Bank’ and plans to launch Payments Bank in February 2017?
Founder of PayTm: Vijay Shekhar Sharma (2010).
Owned by One97 Communications.
Head Quarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
17) Which bank has become the first bank has launched ‘EazyPay’ mobile app that allows all-in-one acceptance payments platform?
ICICI Bank (It includes all modes of payments – digital wallets, UPI, credit cards, debit cards etc.,).
18) Who has been appointed as the new deputy governor of RBI (Reserve Bank of India)?
Viral V Acharya
19) Which bank plans to deploy 20 humanoids in 2 years at its branch offices to provide assistance to its customers?
HDFC (India’s second private sector bank, Head office: Mumbai, CEO: Aditya Puri).
20) Banking Cash Transaction Tax (BCTT): The tax levied on cash deals of Rs 50,000 and above. (The final decision will be taken after examining the recommendations of Chief Ministers Panel).
21) Who is the MD & CEO of IndusInd Bank?
Mr Romesh Sobti.
22) Which is the world’s first country declared to appoint a ‘digital ambassador’ to manage its relationship with technology giants like Google and Apple?
Capital: Copenhagen, Currency: Danish krone.
Foreign Minister of Denmark: Anders Samuelsen.
23) Under which scheme, The union ministry plans to create employment opportunities to 1 crore youth by the year 2020?
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
Awards & Honours:
24) Who is the winner of Allan Border Medal (cricket) in the year 2017?
25 Which airport has won the ‘Golden Peacock Award’ for CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) in the aviation transport sector for the year 2016?
Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL).
26) Who has been conferred with Venuizulas Hugo Chavez Peace Prize by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro?
Vladimir Putin (Russian president).
New Appointments in January 2017
27) Who has been appointed as new director of CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation)?
28) Who is the newly appointed chairman of the Eastern India Regional Council of the ICSI (Institute of Company Secretaries of India)?
29) Who took charge as the interim CEO of Prasar Bharti on 15th January 2017?
30) Who has been appointed as “COO – Chief Operating Officer” of the transporting app of Ola?
31) Who is the newly elected president of European Parliament?
32) Who is the newly appointed president of Gambia?
(Gambian Capital: Banjul, Currency: Gambian dalasi).
33) Which former Indian cricketer has been inducted into Legend’s Club Hall of Fame?
Latest Books & Authors:
|Akhada (Auto-Biography of Mahavir Singh Poghat)||Saurabh Duggal|
|Bose: The Indian Samurai||Major General GD Bakshi|
|Khullam Khulla (Biography of Rishi Kapoor)||Rishi Kapoor, Meena Iyer|
|From Kalburgi to Ayodhya||Gulzar|
|An Unsuitable Boy||Poonam Saxena|
|The Modi Doctrine: New Regimes in India’s Foreign Policy||Anirban Ganguly|
Sports News January 2017
34) India Postal Dept. has decided to release a stamp cover having which sports personalities?
PV. Sindhu, Sakshi Malik and gymnast Dipa Karmakar (Olympic Medal Winners 2016)
35) Which has Indian cricket become the Fastest Batsman to Score 1000 Runs as ODI( One-Day Internationals) Captain on 22nd January 2017?
36) Who won the ITF ( International Tennis Federation) Juniors Title 2016 under ‘Under-18 juniors’ category?
37) Who won Malaysian Masters Grand Prix Gold tournament in January 2017 at Sibu Indoor Stadium in Sarawak, Malaysia?
38) Who won Delhi International Chess tournament in January 2017?
Grandmaster Farrukh Amonatov (Tajikistan)
Tajikistan’s Capital: Dushanbe
Tajikistanian Currency: Tajikistani somoni.
39) Who is the ambassidor of International event 14th Standard Charted Mumbai Marathon 2017?
David Rudish (Kenya).
40) Name the Olympics Medal winner and world champion in Gymnastics, who has been retired from sports at her early age of 19 due to damage her feet recently?
Yana Kudryavtseva (She won 13 times world championships from 2013 to 2015).
41) Who won Australian Open Tennis Title 2017 in Men’s Category?
Roger Federer (Switzerland).
42) Who won Australian Open Tennis Title 2017 in Women’s Category?
Serena Williams (US).
Science & Technology:
43) Who has been selected for the National Geoscience Award for 2016 for his distinguished work in the field of Geo-Environmental studies?
NGRI: (National Geophysical Research Institute)
Union Ministry of Mines: Balvinder Kumar
44) Which country has launched first military communications satellite named Kirameki-2 (kee-RAH-meh-kee 2)?
45) Which is the surface-to-surface medium range ballistic missile of Pakistan recently finished its first flight test?
Pakistan’s Prime Minister: Nawaz Sharif,
President: Mamnoon Hussain,
Currency: Pakistani Rupee,
46) The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and French Space agency (CNES) has signed a partnership agreement in satellite launching technology for 50 years? Who are the chairman of ISRO and current president of CNES?
ISRO chairman – Kiran Kumar.
French Space Agency (CNES) president – Jean-Yves Le Gall.
47) Who is the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, visited India recently?
Jean-Marc Ayrault duri
48) According to UK’s FSA (Food Standards Agency) Research, Which food items cooked to brown can cause cancer risk?
Toasted bread, chips, and potatoes. (The chemical named ‘Acrylamide’ is produced and it causes cancer).
49) Name the India’s long-range, strategic ballistic missile successfully test fired at Abdul Kalam Island, off Odisha coast?
50) Name the 3 satellites that China has launched with Kuaizhou-1A rocket for the first time from northwestern China’s Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Gansu?
Caton-1, satellite JL-1, and CubeSats XY-S1. and ”
National & International Affairs:
Current Affairs January 2017 PDF Free Download for all Competitive Exams 2017 – Banks, SSC, UPSC, Groups etc. January Current Affairs 2017
51) Under which scheme, The union ministry plans to create employment opportunities to 1 crore youth by the year 2020?
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
52) Which country is hosting the annual meeting of WEF (World Economic Forum) in 2017?
53) Which state government has launched ‘Dulari Kanya’ scheme to check infant mortality in the state?
Arunachal Pradesh (Chief Minister: Pema Khandu, Governor: V Shanmuganathan)
54) Which state has set a new world record by singing the national anthem by more than 3.5 lakh people in an event?
Gujarat ( Rajkot district )
55) India has stood at which position in Corruption Perception Index (CPI) for the year 2016?
56) Which position has India ranked at Global Passport Index (GPI) 2017?
78th Rank. (Germany topped in GPI – Global Passport Index).
57) India has ranked which position in ‘ (GICI) Global Talent Competitiveness Index 2017’?
92nd Rank. (GICI measures how the countries grow, attract and retain talent).
The top position in GICI – Switzerland.
58) Who is the chairman of IRDAI eight-member Committee formed to review life insurance product regulations?
59) India has inked with which country for strategic oil reserves storage?
UAE (United Arab Emirates)
ADNOC: Abu Dhabi National Oil Co.
UAE Prime Minister, King: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
UAE President: Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
UAE Capital: Abu Dhabi,
60) Who is the chief guest of Republic Day annual parade in January 2017 at New Delhi?
Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan (UAE President cum Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces)
61) Which state govt. has announced the total ban on polythene carry bags in 2017?
Madhya Pradesh ( CM: Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Governor: Om Prakash Kohli)
62) Which country has been decided to cut vegetable imports from India for 10 years?
63) According to the US- Scientists, Which year has been declared as World’s Warmest Year?
64) ___________ has recently withdrawn the Visa-Free arrival facility for Indians?
65) Which Day is observed as National Voters Day to encourage the youth (Above 18 years) to enrol and participate in voting?
66) According to BCG (Boston Consulting Group) survey, Which company has been topped the list of the world’s 50 ‘Most Innovative Companies’?
First – Apple,
second – Google,
fifth – Amazon,
ninth – Facebook,
Tenth – IBM.
67) Who has been sworn in as 45th President of the United States, for the first time in eight years?
68) Which state government has launched ‘Nasha Mukti campaign’ to inspire and make the state addiction free?
Bihar ( CM: Nitish Kumar, Governor: Ram Nath Kovind, Capital: Patna).
69) Which is the second capital of Himachal Pradesh recently declared by the Chief Minister ‘ Virabadhra Singh’?
Himachal Pradesh first capital: Shimla.
Governor of Himachal Pradesh: Acharya Dev Vrat.
70) Name the campaign which has been launched to provide quality medicines at affordable prices in the masses by the Department of Pharmaceuticals?
71) Which state govt. has launched the ‘Anandam Scheme’ to help the poor and needy people in the state and set up some fixed places in each state to collect the donations from rich people?
Madhya Pradesh ( CM: Shivraj Singh Chouhan)
72) Which union ministry launches the Web portal ‘ShaGun’ for the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) to get progress in the Elementary Education sector of India with the implementation of innovative ideas?
Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister- Prakash Javedkar.
73) As per WEF (World Economic Forum) Report, Which Indian city is named as the most dynamic city in the world?
Note: Hyderabad is in fifth place.
74) The Kerala CM ‘Pinarayi Vijayan’ has launched which scheme to make developments in the health sector of the state?
E-Health Kerala Scheme (They provide e-health cards).
75) Which country has closed the FM radio in the country from the beginning in 2017?
Norway ( Capital: Oslo, Currency: Norwegian krone).
76) Name the scheme that has been launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as skill development program that provides training and certifies Indian Youth who are interested in overseas employment?
PKVY (Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana).
77) Who is the Union Textile Minister of India, she has inaugurated India International Garment Fair (IIGF) 2017 at New Delhi?
Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani.
78) The island ‘karang’ is located in which state recently in the news as it became the first cashless Island by promoting digital transactions?
79) Which state government has been launched India’s largest Wi-Fi service “Mumbai WiFi” to empower the people digitally in Mumbai?
Maharashtra (CM: Devendra Fadnavis, Governor: C. Vidyasagar Rao)
80) The National Award Winner ‘Deepak Roy’ died at the age of 67, He belongs to which field?
filmmaker (His movie ‘“Limit to Freedom” got the national award in 1996).
81) Name the person who died recently and popularly known as ‘Black Hole Man of India’?
CV Vishveshwara ( Scientist made his extensive contributions in the discovery of the black hole in India).
82) Name the renowned Urdu poet cum lyricist who has been died in January 2017 at his age of 88?
83) Which day is celebrated as ‘World Hindi Day’?
84) World Leprosy Eradication Day – 31st January.
85) Global Family Day – 1st January.
86) National Technology Day – January 6th.
87) Data Protection Day –28th January.
88) National Immunization Day – 29th January
89) National Girl Child Day of India – 24th January.