Data Interpretation (DI) means nothing but understanding the given data to get inferences with the proper analysis of that data.
In this type of questions, Some data is provided in the form of tables or bar charts or pie charts or in graph format and questions are asked based on the given data. Our task is to answer those questions simply by interpreting and analyzing the data in a smart way.
Data Interpretation is an important aspect of almost every competitive exam today. DI is the part of quantitative aptitude section in all types of bank exams. In IBPS Bank Exams – 25 to 30 questions are asked from data interpretation part and coming to SBI PO’s and State Bank Associate Bank PO’s recruitment Exam Pattern, The Quantitative-Aptitude section itself is labeled as Data Interpretation & Analysis and more than 90% of the questions are given from data interpretation.
Let us discuss some facts on the topic of DI (Data Interpretation ) with the analysis of previous SBI PO exam papers.
- In the year 2011, when SBI PO exam was conducted – Out of 50 questions of quantitative aptitude section 45 Q’s are asked from DI only.
- In 2013 SBI PO exam, we got 47 questions out of 50 Q’s from data interpretation.
- In the year 2014 SBI PO exam paper- all the 50 Q’s are given from DI only.
With the analysis of previous exam papers, we can clearly understand the importance of having good knowledge & grip on data interpretation topics.
So friends, if you people improve your mental ability in doing calculations in the quick and smart way by following some tips & tricks, shortcut methods, and formulas by applying them at the right place.
For solving, Data Interpretation problems in less time. At first, we need to self-asses your mathematical knowledge whether you have the following things in your mind.
Basic Maths Tricks to Solve Data Interpretation (DI):
Remember the below basic maths to made our calculations faster in Data Interpretation (DI):
- Mathematical tables up to 20.
- Squares of numbers 12 to 302 .
- Cubes of numbers 13 to 203.
- Powers of 2 up to 6.
- Powers of 3 up to 5.
- Fractional values 1/2, 1/3 ……… 1/20.
- Addition Tips.
- Multiplication Tips.
- Division Tricks.
- Shortcut Methods and Formulas of Aptitude Topics.
With My personal experience of attempting SBI PO’s and IBPS PO Exams, I found in many bank exams of officer (PO) cadres that out of 50 questions in aptitude section. we found questions are asked based on the below strategy.
- Easy to solve – 5 Q’s
- Easy but lengthy(time taking) – 5 Q’s (Better not to touch such questions at first round)
- Moderate (can be solvable) – 5 Q’s
- Moderate to high – 5 Q’s
- Tuff – 5 Q’s
Data Interpretation – PRACTICE PROBLEMS
DI Problems For Practice SET 2
Based on the above analysis we can solve 30 q’s if we have proper planning in preparation and at the time of taking the exam.
Tips & Tricks to follow while solving DI (Data Interpretation) questions in Online IBPS Bank Exams / SBI & Associate Bank PO Exams:
DI is all about to test your calculation ability, how you can analyze and take decisions in less time.
- Don’t waste time with lengthy calculations: According to our above analysis, some questions needs lengthy calculations. First check, whether you can able to solve such questions using shortcut methods and by following calculation tips in less time.
- TIP: Need to know which question to pick and which question to skip and also where we have to use pen and where we have to mental calculations and where to use approximations while solving the questions.
2. Get answers by watching diagram:
For some questions, we can get answers by seeing the diagram itself carefully. No need to use pen and paper in solving that sort of questions. Avoid paperwork for simple calculations.
3. Use approx. values while solving:
In DI, for some questions, we don’t need to get exact answers. For such questions use approx. values to solve. This approach saves time.
4. Use Previous Solutions if needed again:
While solving some questions, we require previously solved answers. For those Q’s use previous answers and no need calculate the same sums again and again.
5. Important Topics to concentrate in Data Interpretation & Data Analysis:
DI majorly covers questions from these 3 areas of quantitative aptitude.
So, speed up your calculations and focus more on these topics in learning smart techniques, shortcuts, formulas etc.,
6. Follow Right Approach while Practice:
Speed along with accuracy plays the main role in one’s success in bank exams. Speed improves mainly through the right approach of practice. we have to analyze our performance in every go and make improvements in weak areas to have the better performance next time.
Types of problems in Data Interpretation:
There are various models 0f presenting data in Data Interpretation and Data Analysis.
- Table Charts
- Line Graphs
- Bar Graphs/Histograms
- Pie Charts
- Mixed Graphs
Let us first start with simple questions then we go for medium level questions and then go for high-level DI questions to make you better understandable about the smart techniques of DI.
Before going to practice, we need to know some shortcut methods, formulas and some basic awareness on quantitative aptitude (QA) questions. DI is the one which even better than QA to be confident about our answers.
Practice Problems on Data Interpretation (DI): Click Here.