Important Current Affairs 16th, 17th May 2017 – Questions & Answers
Banking and Economy News (Bit Bank)
1. HDFC Bank has been tied up with which private sector bank for selling its insurance products (bancassurance)?
Catholic Syrian Bank (CSB).
Points to Remember:
Head office of CSB: Thrissur, Kerala
MD& CEO: Shri C.VR Rajendran
Tagline: Support all the way.
HDFC Bank CEO: Aditya Puri
(According to American financial magazine Barron’s, He is in the list of ‘World’s 30 Best CEOs 2017’)
Tagline: We understand your world.
Head Office: Mumbai.
2. According to FICCI, What is the estimated economic growth rate of India for the fiscal year 2017-18?
FICCI – Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
Chairman: Pankaj Patel.
Head Office: New Delhi, India
Founded in 1927.
3. Which of the popular e-commerce portal has partnered with FIEO South Zone to train merchants for selling their products online?
Points to Remember:
FIEO – Federation of Indian Export Organization.
Amazon CEO: Jeff Bezos,
Head Office: Seatle, Washington.
4. According to World Bank’s Electricity Accessibility List 2017, India has been elevated its ranking from 99th position (2014) to which position in 2017?
26th rank in 2017.
Union Power Minister: Piyush Goyal.
National and International Affairs:
5. Name the committee that has setup to check the ‘Mid Day Meal’ quality in Uttar Pradesh.
‘Maa Committee’. (6 members).
6. Which Indian Airport has became the world’s busiest single runway airport in the fiscal year 2016-17?
Mumbai Airport ( By handling 837 flights a day supervised under GVK group).
Note: It has overtaken the London’s Gatwick airport (757 flights a day).
7. Which country imposed anti-dumping duty on imports of glasses(Iran) and radiators (China)?
8. Between which two countries the Preferential Trade Agreement, PTA has signed and come into effect?
India and Chile.
Points to Remember:
Capital of Chile: Santiago
Currency of Chile: Chilean peso
President: Michelle Bachelet.
9. Which country will be hosting the 43rd G7 Summit from May 26th to 27th May 2017?
Points to Remember about Italy:
Foreign Minister: Angelino Alfano.
President: Sergio Mattarella,
Prime Minister: Paolo Gentiloni,
10. India has signed five MoUs with which country on that country’s Prime Minister’s visit to India for boosting their relations in the fields of Agriculture, IT and Electronics, Sports, Youth Affairs, Visa exemptions?
Points to Remember about Palestine:
President: Mahmoud Abbas,
Prime Minister: Rami Hamdallah
Capital: East Jerusalem,
Currency: Egyptian pound, Israeli new shekel, and Jordanian dinar
11. Which states topped the Public Affairs Index 2017 released by PAC (Public Affairs Centre), India?
Kerala – 1st position.
Tamilnadu – 2nd
Gujarat – 3rd.
12. The Indian Navy has signed the MoU with ___________ on data sharing and scientific co- operation in the field of Meteorology and Oceanology.
Space Application Center (SAC).
Awards & Honours
13. Which of the Indian Chief Minister was conferred with ‘Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Lifetime Achievement Award’ in 2017?
Pawan Kumar Chamling (Sikkim Cheif Minister).
Capital of Sikkim: Gangtok
Governor of Sikkim: Shrinivas Dadasaheb Patil.
14. Who has been honored with INSA Young Scientist Award for 2017?
Aravind Kumar Rengan (Hyderabad IIT-Professor).
INSA – Indian National Science Academy.
15. Who was honored with the prestigious Florence Nightingale Award 2017?
Krishna Kumari. ( She is from Ganjam District in Odisha).
16. Who was appointed as the new prime minister of France?
French President: Emmanuel Macron).
France Capital: Paris.
Currency: CFP franc and Euro.
17. Which day is celebrated as International Day of Families?
18. Who won Formula One Lewis Hamilton Spanish Grand Prix Title 2017?
Lewis Hamilton ( Mercedes).
19. Who won PSA (Professional Squash Association) title in 2017?
Ramit Tandon (US-based Indian).